Part II: Topic Specific Resources: Early Intervention and Treatment
- Challenging Behaviors, Intervention, & EHS/Infants and Toddlers
(http://www.ehsnrc.org/Publications/English%20Tip%20Sheets/TIP_SHEET_37.pdf [PDF format])
Office of Head Start, Administration for Children and Families
These guidelines provide information for developing an individualized support plan for children with challenging behaviors.
- Diagnosis and Treatment: What to Do Now
First Signs provides information on early intervention; how to work with school districts; understanding insurance plans; and various treatments, testing, and specialists.
- Find Youth Info
Find Youth Info
FindYouthInfo.gov is the U.S. government Web site that helps you create, maintain, and strengthen effective youth programs. Included are youth facts, funding information, and tools to help you assess community assets, generate maps of local and federal resources, search for evidence-based youth programs, and keep up-to-date on the latest youth-related news.
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Child Find Project
Child Find, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
If a child appears to have developmental troubles that will interfere with learning, find out about whether he or she might be eligible for an early intervention program or special education services in the preschool years. ChildFind has information on the entire process, from getting a diagnosis to applying for services.
- Report of the Working Group on Psychotropic Medications for Children and Adolescents: Psychopharmacological, Psychosocial, and Combined Interventions for Childhood Disorders: Evidence Base, Contextual Factors, and Future Directions
(http://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources/child-medications.pdf [PDF format])
American Psychological Association
- Treatment of Children with Mental Illness
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), National Institutes of Health
NIMH answers frequently asked questions about the treatment of mental illness in children.