Part II: Topic Specific Resources: Early Identification
- A Parent-Completed, Child-Monitoring System for Social-Emotional Behaviors
- Developmental Screening, Child Development
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
This overview provides a list of recommended tools; references for developmental screening; and an explanation of what developmental screening is, why it is important, what it does, and who provides it.
- Diagnostic Classification of Mental Health and Developmental Disorders of Infancy and Early Childhood
ZERO TO THREE
ZERO TO THREE’s revised, developmentally based diagnostic manual is based on a growing understanding of early cognitive development. It stands to make early treatment more effective than ever. The new criteria include new diagnostic subsets for depression, anxiety disorders, including separation anxiety and social anxiety, and feeding behavior disorders.
- Information for Researchers and Professionals About the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaires
The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) is a brief behavioural screening questionnaire about 3-16 year olds. It is a screening assessment for predicting the presence of a psychiatric disorder, available in various languages.
- Pediatric Symptom Checklist
Massachusetts General Hospital
This brief screening questionnaire is used by pediatricians and other health professionals to improve the recognition and treatment of psychosocial problems in children. It is available in various languages and formats for different populations.
- Screening and Assessment
(http://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/health/Mental%20Health/Early%20Identification%20of%20Children%27s%20Needs/Screening%20and%20Assessment) Office of Head Start, Administration for Children and Families
These resources provide information on early identification of children’s needs, addressing high-risk behaviors, selecting screening and assessment instruments, and preventing and assessing family crisis.
- Screening for Social Emotional Concerns: Consideration in the Selection of Instruments
(http://www.challengingbehavior.org/do/resources/documents/roadmap_1.pdf [PDF format])
Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention for Young Children
- Screening: Making Observations
First Signs provides screening tips for parents, guidelines for professionals, toolkits, and videos.
- What is the Difference Between Screening and Assessment?
(http://www.ehsnrc.org/Publications/English%20Tip%20Sheets/TIP%20SHEET%206.pdf [PDF format])
Office of Head Start, Administration for Children and Families